Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Adventures in Subbing 09/10 #3

On Monday I subbed for what I thought was Miss Suzy in Preschool, I'd geared myself up for preschool fun (10 kids with 5 adults). When I got the school to sign in they corrected my thought .. .it was Miss Suzy in Science! I missed the preschool fun but I got to teach science to first graders.

When you teach a 'special' you teach for (generally) 30 minutes, switch classes and then teach the lesson all over again. I taught the food chain 4 times. By the end of the day, I was so confused at what I'd already taught and what I still had to teach. ALSO by the end of the day the first graders were catching on that humans aren't really the top of the food chain when I shark could eat a human .... or a "really mean dinosaur with a sharp gray beak thing" could eat a human. I was glad that was the last class because I'm not sure what I would have done if they'd all been that 'smart' or if that class had been the first one!

I got them back ... I informed them that kitties could be eaten by a coyote. This might have been a bit much for the kids that didn't live in the country. Country kids knew it was a way of life those little city girls didn't!!

No comments: