Saturday, April 19, 2008

The GRAND events of Prom

Tonight is Prom or should I say Today is Prom. This seems to be an event with a lot of wonderful traditions in this little town.
It all starts with almost all the kids attending prom going to the town square at 2pm for pictures. This is a big event. The parents, grandma and grandpa's, cousins, friends, the newspaper photographer and anyone else that wants to come, show up! It was fun and I got a lot of great pictures of W and his friends. They were then off to the city for supper. After supper they get in their 'ride' and head for "Walk in". "Walk in" is a GRAND EVENT! I didn't know just how grand until tonight. For years people would ask me if I'd been to walk in and I say "no, I don't have a child old enough for Prom." They'd always reply "oh, you don't need someone going to prom to go. The whole town goes!" I always thought that was an exaggeration ! I found out tonight it wasn't. There are bleachers set up in front of the high school, people bring lawn chairs,the crowd is 3 and 4 rows deep on both sides of the sidewalk and the street. All waiting for the kids to arrive, driving up in front of the high school in all sorts of 'things' (a shopping cart, a couch, an RV, girls in pickup trucks pulling their dates in a horse trailer, and of course all sorts of fancy cars!). W drove an El Camino. They are announced (that was my job ~ getting their names written down for the MC to announce) and they walk a red carpet while the camera's flash and the crowd cheers and screams their names! What a great experience for them!
~then comes prom & "after prom"~
(After Prom is a huge all night lock in party put on by the parent's to keep them safe.)
Well this is where my story ends as I came home and W's story begins as he stayed and enjoyed the rest of the night.
*Unfortunately we may never hear that story!*

No comments: