Thursday, March 13, 2008

Just How Can this Be?

Last Night hubby and I were rushing around inside the house trying to get out the door for W's last basketball game, I hurried by a window to notice G was halfway up the drive way turning his bike around. I went outside just in time to see G riding his bike back to the garage. This may not seem like an interesting bit of news to most of you but let me fill you in on the background.

G hasn't ever learned to ride a bike! He tried with training wheels but didn't really like the feel of wobbling back and forth, he didn't trust them. Then the training wheels broke and he wanted NO Part of riding without training wheels. Last summer was pretty much a wash since the week before G broke his arm a little girl in his classroom broke her arm riding her new bike! G didn't want any part of that again either! I spend the last part of the summer asking him, pleading with him to just try. G would calmly ask "but why do I need to learn to ride a bike?" He was so convincing that I, too began to wonder why kids learn to ride bikes! So the little bike sat in the garage, always looming around the give away pile. G was quickly out growing the little bike that we had and I knew that I had one more chance to get this done. I had to try again. I would not give up this year -- G WOULD learn to ride a bike next week over Spring Break!

Last night he was outside waiting for us, saw the bike in the garage and wondered if he could ride it. He hopped on and rode up the drive way!
Just How Can this Be?

No comments: