Saturday, June 28, 2008

Mounds of Blueberries

I went Blueberry picking this morning. Maybe I should back up a bit ~

G and I have been trying to go Blueberry picking for several days (since June 17 that's opening day). The "picking report" of the place where we go stated "There are a lot of berries this year but there are more pickers" so they would close the fields until the berries could ripen again. I believe they were "pick out" in 3 hours last Saturday.

Being a person that can go picking during the week I was trying to avoid the crowds and go during the week. I really wanted to go yesterday to beat the crowd but since they were picked out last Saturday they closed for the entire week and reopened the fields this morning. My little co-picker decided that he didn't want to go late last night so I was flying solo for my morning. I got the to fields minutes after they'd opened (7:30am) and the opened fields were packed, and there was a parade of cars still flowing in! They continued to open fields so there were plenty of berries. The bushes were wet (it rained early this morning) but full of berries picked berries for 90 minutes (got about 13 pounds) and then waited in line to check out for 30 minutes before heading home. The line was much longer when I was leaving and cars were still streaming in.

When I got home I made blueberry pancakes! We all love blueberries but these are so tasty. There was a simple joy at being able to pop such a delicious berry in my mouth as I picked. I don't know if you can tell but some of these are HUGE. Some are bigger than my thumb. We'll be enjoying this for along while!

I've checked into planting blueberry bushes. I have to wait until spring time but they seem to be little effort. Remind me come spring!

No comments: