Friday, September 19, 2008

Adventures in Subbing

This week I subbed in a Kindergarten class.

Adventure #1
As I introduced myself to the class the first morning.

One little boy said, "I saw you rockin' "

I paused, and thought this is odd but OK, I'm at least 'rockin' with this kid.

I asked him "Oh, you did?"
thinking I don't believe I've ever seen this kid before so how could he know I was "rockin' ".

He replied ~ "yea, you were rockin' "

Then it hit me ~ he'd seen me WALKING down the hallway. "I saw you walking"

I'm not quite as cool as I thought!

Adventure #2
As in any class there are some kids that you notice (usually the ones that are loud and disobedient) and then there are some you don't notice right away (quiet and do as they're told).

Yesterday I was approached by the school nurse in the lunchroom. She quickly gave me a medical update on Duncan. I made all the correct facial expressions and comments but as I walked away I thought, I didn't even know I had a Duncan and I wonder which one he is?

As I got back to the classroom I searched out a Duncan and sure enough I had one, but I really had not seen this child before.

By the afternoon Duncan had made himself know ~ he wasn't quite as quiet as the morning!

No comments: