Friday, September 26, 2008

Adventures in Subbing

Adventure #3 ~
The past couple of days I have been a music teacher! funny huh?

Yesterday I went to one of (well, it's the only one left) county schools. It only has 1 class of each grade K-4, but 2 5th grade classes. Each class has approx 15 - 22 students. The students are moved up all together for the first 6 years of their schooling, just the teacher and the room changes. The students even help in the cafeteria at lunch time (wiping down tables, and putting food on the trays). It is really a small community atmosphere. I like that.

Being the Music teacher meant that I had all the classes on just one day. The older students played music memory while the younger students watched a video.

I was the same teacher today only in a larger school.

When I'm in the regular classroom, I teach all day. When I do 'specials' (music, PE, art, science etc) I really just give opening instructions, and then I sit and monitor. So over the past 2 days I've sat and monitor several hours of Music memory and watched the same video over and over (and over). Makes for a long day.

I don't know which I like better ~ teaching all day or monitoring all day. I suppose it takes both to make it great!

No comments: