Sunday, September 7, 2008

Susan

About 8 years ago a wise Bishop (hubby) asked me to work in the church Library with Susan. We became friends, good friends. Susan had a tough exterior and didn't really let too many people in, but I was allowed in. Over the years, Susan, even though her children were grown, sat beside me at basketball games, soccer games and a couple of t-ball games. We went to the "Jewels of the Russian Czars" and the "Dead Sea Scrolls"exhibits. We made gingerbread house for a local Gingerbread house exhibit. We walk many, many miles together while W earned his BS Hiking badge. We have talked, and we laughed, fixed the problems of the world and probably created problems ourselves.

Probably one the things I'm most thankful for is that she loved my boys. As we would sit at a soccer game watching W have a horrible off night on a horrible field, she made excuses for the ball getting by him. After sitting through one of G's t-ball (where everyone gets to hit and score wasn't kept) games she asked me, "Just what is the purpose of the this game." One the last places she went out was to watch G at his school's olympics and she had planned to "Body's revealed" with W and I.

You never had to wonder what she was thinking because she said it!

Susan had a difficult summer, in and out of the hospital, then making the decision that it was time to let go. She called me to the hospital where we laughed, we joked, we said goodbyes and we planned her funeral, She then came home where we, her friends took care of her. I was blessed to be there and care for her until she no longer knew we were there.

W served as a pall bear for her.

No comments: