Friday, April 10, 2009

Track Meet #3 in my plastic coat

I thought I'd give the boring Track meet statics intermingled my personal issues!

Last year the afternoon before we headed for Chicago I decided I might need a rain coat! A coat, what a novel idea when heading to Chicago where the weather is just as unpredictable as it is here)! I went to Wal-mart (the closest and quickest) and purchased a rain/wind/all weather coat. Only after getting to Chicago did I realize that it was a "Plastic Coat", translation, it was HOT, it causes me to sweat. Even when I when it was tied around my waist it would do it's job and cause me to sweat around my waist! I was just a plastic coat! There are some positives.... it was good when you needed a wind coat, as the Plastic coat does break the wind and the plastic coat does prevent you from getting wet from rain. 2 positives when you need them, but once you're in from the elements, the negatives start to show! The plastic coat is uncomfortable with out RAIN and WIND!

Well, when I left to sub early yesterday morning the weather looked like a nice spring morning. The weather was suppose to get to 50ish and a chance of a storm sometime in the day. I felt like the Plastic coat would be the best choice for yesterday's track meet. ...... it didn't prove to be the best choice but I finally got it working for me.

Me in the Plastic Coat Did I mention that it has a hood, that's a plus!

I showed up with only the Plastic coat on and was freezing.... OH, did I mention that the Plastic Coat doesn't have ANY lining, no warmth AT ALL! I was quickly turning into a Popsicle! It looked like W wouldn't be jumping for a while... so G and I grabbed a bag of popcorn (can I just say that popcorn and this don't really go together)and headed for the warmth of the car. Can you see what's coming? Once you remove the elements the plastic Coat turns me into a sweat box! After several minutes I realized that this would never due.... I searched the car for something, anything... to help me out ..... I finally found a fleece jacket (left over from the last track meet), put that on under the plastic coat and I'm saved! I'll cut this short by saying that before the night was over I also drug out a blanket for extra warmth.

G under the blanket playing his DS
It was 50 degrees with an unbelievably strong wind, at times I had to brace myself to be blown over.

this Track Meet had schools from south of us and from the neighboring state. They're were some good jumpers.

W ended up 6th in the long jump with a 19' 10".

They'd just announced the final jumpers (he just barely made the finals in the 7th place with a jump of 39' 10 3/4") for the triple jump when the called for the track meet due to weather.

We had stood outside from 3:45 until 7:10.... we were wind whipped!

At that time there was just wind, but the storms moved in about an hour later.

Once again it was several hours before I was warm.... even with a simple supper of hot soup and grilled cheese!

No comments: