Friday, August 22, 2008

The Balance of Nature is disrupted

The balance of nature around our house sit like this, Skipper has the front porch, front yard and drive way, the kitties have the basement family room, the shed, and the basement patio, the hummingbird has the back deck.

THE humming bird has really taken over the back deck in last couple of weeks. He fights any flying thing that should inter HIS territory, wasp are his arch rivals, but I have seen him take on another bird that was 10 times his size. He is always curious with me, coming right to my face and checking me out, I'm quickly left alone but he doesn't go far. He either sits on the plant hangers or the tomato stakes until I'm gone or sitting quietly over to the side. As you can tell there isn't anything that is going to take over HIS deck.

A couple of nights ago the kitties followed G around the house to the front porch (I don't really know how much following there was and how much carrying there might have been). Skipper was really excited and wanted to play with the kitties but they weren't too sure of what they'd just found and we quite skittish. I explained to G that this was not a good place for them since there were cars and all the bad things that could happen with little kitties and cars.

Last night I gave G the assignment of teaching the kitties how to get on the deck via the shed roof. They were fast learners and really enjoyed the plants, leaves and new surroundings. They really had a fun time exploring the deck. They quickly felt at home on the deck.

Then it happened ~ the hummingbird came to monitor his deck! Now I've been 'allowed' unto the hummingbird's deck and I'm sure that Skipper just laid down and ignored hummingbird, but the kitties were VERY curious. The hummingbird flit and flutter, humming and squeaking at them, then retreated until they'd moved on the explore under the deck.

Well see how this all plays out in the

"Days of our Deck"

No comments: