Monday, January 19, 2009

Martin Luther King

When I substitute in the 2 grade class there is a 'Foster Grandma' in that class, she is a sweet little grandma that never says a word, just goes about grading her papers.

I was teaching the morning after Barack Obama was pronounced the President Elect. I asked her what she thought of that. She simply replied, "well, I guess it's good, he seems like a nice man." When I asked her about her experiences with discrimination she told of how she moved to the 'prairie' when she was 2 and didn't ever really know of anything that discriminated against her. She and her brother had gone to Memphis when they were little (which would have been in the late 40's). Their aunt took them on the bus, her brother just plopped down on the first seat he found (in the front of the bus), their aunt jerk him up by the arm and told him that he wasn't to sit in the front of the bus. That was the only time they ever knew about discrimination.

I suppose we have wild John Brown to thank for our equal rights on the prairie!

I found the closing of the speech that Dr King gave the night before his assassinated.

Here are his prophetic words......

Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land. And I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord.

No comments: