Friday, October 3, 2008

Adventures in Subbing #4

I didn't sub this week but I had an Adventure from the first day I subbed this year.

I was in a 4th grade classroom, just the second week of school (teacher planning day).

A young man (which reminded me of my nephew, DJ) raised his hand to tell me that the girl next to him had just told him, "if you don't stop sniffing your marker you'll kill brain cells."

student ~ "Was this true?"

Me ~ "That is true and stop sniffing your marker."

student ~ "if that's true then why aren't I dead?"

Me ~ "you have a lot of brain cells, so many that you don't use them all, but you never know which ones you're killing, so stop sniffing your marker. You could kill some important ones next time."

student ~ "OK"

about an hour later, the boy came up to the desk and quietly told me ~ "my Mom says if I read a book that makes me smarter, do you think if I read a book, I can get my brain cells back?"

Me ~"that's a great idea, I think it might worth a try."

1 comment:

Karies place said...

Good come back.

Karie - LDFR sister